Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Road to Homeschool Led to Self Discipline

When I was pregnant with my first child, my husband and I both felt strongly that I should be a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM). We also chose to homeschool our children. (Funny thing to decide before even having kids, on the outside that is.) We felt as though it would be the best way to handle our responsibility of "training up a child in the way they should go," and Deuteronomy 11:18-20.
"Therefore you shall lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul,
and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between
your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit
in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise
up. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,"
I knew getting into the homeschooling arena wouldn't be easy and being primarily responsible for my children's education would be extremely difficult to manage. I do not take lightly what teachers do for millions of children everyday! What amazing perseverance it takes to teach.

Now that our oldest is getting closer to preschool age, I started realizing about a year ago that to be able to tell her to obey me, to listen, to trust, and to be disciplined in her behavior that I must model those things for her. And that was when I began to "Homeschool Myself" (more on this topic to come.)

"Draw a line. Establish a border. Separate a lifestyle. Godly conduct is not
about rule-keeping -- it's about getting God's heart on every issue. Do all
things as unto Him." Dr. James MacDonald http://walkintheword.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment